I’ll break I-Hackeds DIY down for you:
1. Get any LED from anything.
2. Get a 3V battery (they suggest from an old motherboard)
3. Get a high powered magnet, not a refrigerator magnet. (They suggest from an old hard drive)
4. Any packing tape.
Some of this stuff isn’t really crap that we all have at our disposal, especially the magnet and the battery. I have some suggestions.
- AA and AAA batteries use 1.5 volts. 2 in a series makes 3 volts. Wire is easy to find.
- Rare earth magnets are a bit much. How’s about a ferrite bar magnet? Easier to find
- Ferrite magnets are widely used in motors, magnetic couplings, for sensing, loudspeakers, holding-magnet systems, crafts, magnetic therapy, novelties, and toys. However they are a bitt easy to break, but who cares they’ll be all taped up.
So replace the rare earth magnet with one from a broken speaker or some crap toy, and use two AAA batteries instead of the tiny and expesive 3v batteries. Granted you will need a higher magnetic force (ie larger magnet) but at least you haven’t had to open up your computer to build something you are going to (essentially) throw away.
I’ll give it a try when I get home and post pix.
For now, if you have the time, give it a whirl and comment your findings.